You have probably heard that getting to Mompos is “difficult” or “complicated”, or perhaps you are not sure as to where Mompos is located. Mompos is found in the department of Bolivar at just 5 hours from Cartagena and getting here is actually straightforward. Mompos is located within the confines of the Mompos Depression – a large area of wetlands – and is the largest freshwater island in South America. Its isolation has kept this jewel of colonial architecture well preserved and the town has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
From the Blog
- 394: Four Weeks down Colombia's Magdalena River
- 393: Adventures in freelance journalism in Colombia
- 392: Adriaan Alsema of Colombia Reports is being sued
- 391: La Casa de Mama Icha: a new Colombian documentary regarding place, belonging and identity
- 390: Appreciating the Peripheries of Medellin, Colombia