You have probably heard that getting to Mompos is “difficult” or “complicated”, or perhaps you are not sure as to where Mompos is located. Mompos is found in the department of Bolivar at just 5 hours from Cartagena and getting here is actually straightforward. Mompos is located within the confines of the Mompos Depression – a large area of wetlands – and is the largest freshwater island in South America. Its isolation has kept this jewel of colonial architecture well preserved and the town has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
From the Blog
- 255: The Making of Democracy and the Colombian Middle Class
- 254: Restoring or Reestablishing a Cultural Identity in Minca, Colombia's Sierra Nevada
- 253: Colombian President Ivan Duque's first 100 Days in Power
- 252: Talking Tourism and Reconciliation with Paola Forero of Semana Rural
- 251: What is happening to the FARC guerrillas in Colombia right now?